Monday, January 16, 2012

Preston

I wish I could rewind time and appreciate life the way I do now. It's funny how a little boy can change you and make you into a better person. Just with a smile...Preston has done just that. I look at his face and find love. I look into his eyes and see wisdom beyond his years. Sure, he is just 2 years old but this little boy has been through more than most 2 year old boys his age.

On November 24th 2009, Two days before Thanksgiving we welcomed an 8lb 8oz boy Preston Dane into the world. Until that day we had no clue what life was truly about. Preston was born with a special smile it was slightly bigger than most but not a wide as others. We were in shock but not devastated until Thanksgiving Day. On Thanksgiving day Preston went for his hearing test and unfortunately failed. We could accept his wide smile but could not fathom our baby boy never hearing. I picked up my baby boy as he was crying and cried with him. My mind started running with obscene thoughts about how I must have done this to him. This was my fault. I had been a mother for 2 days and already failed.

As we have learned so many times doctor's tend to give worst case scenarios. Preston was not deaf as they had suggested. He had fluid in his ears and as with most Cleft affected children received tubes.
I will say we were clueless going into this whole process with Preston. You just always expect your children to be born healthy without conditions. You do everything you are suppose to do, eat all the right foods and take the right vitamins. You avoid cold cut meats and refuse that glass of wine. Then you find out sometimes it doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment